[Te-contributors] SPAM on TCE

Stacey Schneider stacey at siliconspark.com
Tue Mar 13 16:51:19 CDT 2012

Hi all,

We have reviewed the information we have on the server and right now what we think is somehow there was an accidental posting. Whether one of the contributors went in to their account and accidentally posted, or when we were posting a question (different admin area) somehow the records got mixed, we are unsure. Unfortunately logs don't go back that far and many of them are cached from the server, so it appears everything is coming from the same place. Regardless - it looks like an accident since it was just one post. Spam attacks would likely have a whole lot more.

Accidents, just like SPAM are not good - so we're going to lock down the creation and publication of posts. In reality, this will not change how any of the posts today work. Contributors will be able to create blog posts, but not publish. General authenticated users will not be able to do either - and the red buttons advertising it on the site will reflect this. Only content Admins (myself, Chloe and Linda) will be able to actually post anything for now. Additional contributors can be added and likewise for content admins if necessary, but to date - this new security arrangement fits the pattern of every way we have ever actually posted - the only drawback is we look less open on the community front to add experts - but since we have yet to get even one with merit, this is a better approach for now, and obviates the need to dig any deeper into a blame game.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns,
-Stacey

--
Stacey Schneider
SiliconSpark*